A New Painting Technique, for me at least
When I was painting furniture for the Bloom & Shine sale I tried a new technique that worked out well for me.
I will admit, it started out of wanting to cut corners. It was a small shelf unit and I did not want to paint the insides with a brush but I knew I wanted to distress it.
I actually decided to try it on several pieces, including this chair.
And this small shelf unit. Really ugly right?
Here is the chair with a first coat of green and I didn’t have to deal with painting all of the spindles with a brush.
On the chair, I wiped down the seat while it was still wet to give that look of a butt moving on it for years. Very technical process here.
Back to the tall shelf unit, once it was coated with the spray paint I found some stain that I already had.
And brushed it all over, really messy and let it sit for a minute or two. The wood on this was a little rough so it did help grab the color more than if it was smooth.
And then I wiped it with a paper towel.
Here is a close up of the left behind stain with almost a striping effect. It is important to wipe in the direction of the wood grain so that it looks more natural.
I painted the small red shelf green. This picture shows the wet stain after it was wiped down.
Same thing with the chair, smooshed it all around, let it sit and then wiped it down.
When it was dry, I did two spray on coats of Poly, with the exception of the seat of the chair that I brushed on clear wax.
Here is the blue shelf finished.
And here is a close up of the finish.
Here is the chair finished.
And here is the ugly little red cabinet all prettied up…
So, if you want to give a piece a distressed or rustic finish without having to brush the paint on, this could be another option for you!
I will be sharing at some of link parties in my "Parties I Attend" tab above, come stop by!
Thanks for stopping by!