Planning a Bedroom Design & the One That Got Away
Give or take, but this is what my room looked like up until 1:00 on Friday afternoon.
That is, until I saw this bed at Homegoods.
And it completely changed how I thought about our bedroom design.
And this was not just any bed ‚Äì this was a really pretty wood, with cane details, king size bed.
And it was only $600.
I would have bought it on the spot, but we have been trying to figure out for months if we could fit a king size bed in our room or not.
The lesson here ‚Äì buy the bed first, figure out if it will fit later.¬† If it doesn‚Äôt fit ‚Äì return it.
Through a whole drawn out, seemingly very dramatic at the time, series of events ‚Äì including phone calls to see if I could buy it over the phone ‚Äì when I went back ‚Äì it was gone.
Bought an hour earlier and already loaded up and gone.
So now that I have shared my life long lesson of buying it first ‚Äì I will share what the good was that came out of it.
We moved into this house 14 years ago and I put the bed where it is ‚Äì and that is where it has stayed.
I, who have moved and tried every piece of furniture in every place under the sun, have never moved my bed accept to replace the carpet.
I have friends who have moved a sofa around multiple times to multiple rooms - ‚Äújust to see what it looks like.‚Äù¬† Oh, ‚ÄúI don‚Äôt like it.¬† Can you move it back now?‚Äù
I have many times considered switching it to the window wall but was always concerned about the draftiness in the winter.
On a side note, our mattress is shot so we have been in the market for a new mattress.¬† We both wanted to upgrade to a king and knew our frame was on its last legs.¬† Truth ‚Äì years ago, it fell apart when our children were playing on it ‚Äì it is currently held together underneath with a chain.
Nothing but high class around these parts.
Back to Friday afternoon,¬† when I came home in a flurry, measurements in hand, to see if there was a way to make it fit ‚Äì Hubby came in and suggested we switch it with the dresser.
I had never even considered that.
Since Hubby was in the middle of a major construction project in the yard, I could not ask his help ‚Äì but I knew immediately, I needed to move the furniture to see if I liked the layout.
Never underestimate the strength of a woman wanting to move furniture.
It is all in the legs people.
The result ‚Äì no gorgeous $600 bed ‚Äì but I absolutely love the layout.¬† The flow is better, the overall bedroom design is better and it just makes more sense.
Something about our bedroom I just have never fully liked.¬† Now, with a new layout, I am setting out to redo our bedroom.¬† And it will include a king bed ‚Äì woo hoo!
So, here is the plan:
- The dresser and bed will stay switched.
- The bench will go at the end of the bed.
- The ceiling fan will be replaced with a chandelier and we will add sconces next to the bed.
- I am shopping for a new bed.¬† This will be our forever bed, so I am really hoping for a full wood bed.¬† I also would prefer it to be made in the US.¬† I have narrowed it down to a few choices and I am going next week to a furniture store locally that carries all wood, made in the US furniture to see what their options are.¬† It will be a king bed and my first choice will be a painted black finish.¬† However, if getting the right lines and style, that is made in the US and is all wood, means going to a stained finish, I will make that work.¬† Style wise, I am considered a four poster, maybe even with a canopy.¬† However, what I am really looking for is something that has a lot of presence in the room and with a higher headboard.¬† Preferably it will not be held together with a chain.
If I had gotten the bed at Homegoods, the plan had been to paint it black.¬† At $600, that is easier to justify in my head.¬† Another lesson - at lower prices, a little DIY enhancement might be just the ticket to make it work.
- The dresser and armoire will stay.
- I am hoping that the nightstands will still work ‚Äì but they will probably be painted.
- The chair will go.¬† I was planning on reupholstering it, but it is just too big for the room.¬† I do love having a chair so I am hoping to find another option of smaller scale.
- Not for a few months ‚Äì but the plan will be to add board and batten up the walls ‚Äì probably about 2/3 of the way up.¬† The paneling will be the same off white color as the trim, and then above the molding I will just do a creamier color ‚Äì keeping it very neutral.
- The ceiling will stay the soft pretty blue.
- I would love to add hardwood, but the rug will stay.
- Style wise, I am hoping to create a modern farmhouse look.¬† Neutral beiges and whites with black ‚Äì and then a color pop ‚Äì most likely a pear green.
- For bedding, I am looking for a simple ticking stripe.¬† I prefer a comforter, comfort wise, but will do a duvet if that is what I find easier.
So, that is the plan.¬† In the meantime, the new bedroom design is working so much better ‚Äì and I will wait to find ‚Äúour forever bed‚Äù.
So, what do you think?¬† Do you have any suggestions I never thought of to rock my world again!?
Wishing you a great day and thanks for reading.
P.S. After writing this post, I am very aware of how thankful I am to share this craziness that happens in my head.¬† These events did not likely occur because I am a blogger - it is just how I work.¬† But, I am so glad that you all come here to let me share this silliness.¬† I am aware that new beds are not what important - but creating a home environment that my family, and I, love is important to me.¬† So, simply, thank you.