The concept of a savory jelly was one I never really understood. Wasn’t a jelly something that went with peanut butter? And the biggest problem with that is I don’t like peanut butter.
But once, at a party, I tried a pepper jelly and I was intrigued.
Specifically peppadew peppers.
So I did some tweaking, combining and came up with this yummy recipe.
– 1 lb. of bacon
– 1 onion
– 1 Tbsp. of minced garlic
– 1/2 cup of maple syrup
– 3/4 cup of brewed coffee
– 10 oz. jar of peppadew peppers (I used all but about 4 of them)
– Cook the bacon in a pan
– Remove the bacon, drain on a paper towel
– Pour off all but about 1 tsp of oil from bacon
– Saute onions till clear
– Add in garlic, syrup, coffee and peppers saute for about 10 minutes
– Remove from stove
– Crumble bacon and add to mixture
– Place all in a blender of food processor. I chopped everything smaller but didn’t emulsify it.
– Cook in a sauce pan on simmer for about 2 hours
– Place in a jar and refrigerate
– Can be rewarmed to serve
I served it over crusty bread with a scoop of goat cheese. And this morning, I had it with my egg – yum.
If you would like to see other recipe with maple syrup there is:
Thanks so much for reading.